TOKYO!



This is my new most anticipated film, "Tokyo!". Three segments about/set in Tokyo, by three different directors: Michel Gondry, Leos Carax and Bong Joon-Ho.

I am a big fan of Gondry's work on music videos. I thought Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind was excellent, and enjoyed Dave Chappelle's Block Party. I found Be Kind Rewind a bit underwhelming to be honest, seemed like a lot of potential but the whole thing was a little...souless?. The Science of Sleep was...interesting. Everyone tells me not to waste my time with Human Nature. I get the feeling from his movies that he follows his whims creatively, but not necessarily in the service of his movies at the time. I have no evidence to back that up, just a feeling i get from his work. A supremely talented visual director, but not necessarily the best story-teller.

So one would think that giving him a third of a film and a simple theme that he could play with all he wants would yield some creative gold, right? Nowadays I tend to be a bit wary of his projects, but his high points definitely overshadow his low points. And the documentary film he made for his Directors' Label dvd was wonderful. So all good there.

Leos Carax I can't tell you a thing about except Pola X was his (her?) previous movie and Scott Walker produced the soundtrack. I know nothing about it apart from that.

Bong Joon-Ho I didn't know by name, but it turns out he made The Host! I really enjoyed that film. I have a soft (and squishy) spot for genre movies, especially monster and horror movies, and The Host was one of the better ones in the last few years. Very enjoyable.

So, that's about all I know. Three talented directors given a theme to work with. Sounds good, right? And that trailer sure is pretty.

Link
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Digg
  • Delicious
  • Google Buzz

0 comments: